I am frequently asked by users of other email clients (gasp) why GroupWise has no built-in filter to show all of the unread messages in a particular folder. I can only answer “I don’t know why”. But then I show them a very quick way to create such a filter for use in any folder they choose. Please note, this is not the same as creating a search folder to find unread items – it’s actually a much quicker way to find items in the “current” folder that are unread.
Before I created my “Unread” filter, I frequently looked at that unread message counter next to my mailbox and I would sigh. I knew that, for example, there were 20 unread messages, but I could only easily see maybe five or six of them in my current message list screen. So, to find them all quickly, I did the following.
- First click on the dropdown arrow next to “find” beside the filter input box. Figure 1 shows this arrow behind the resultant dropdown list.
- Next click on “In Mailbox Folder” at the top.
- When you see the “Find in Mailbox Folder” window, click on Advanced Find.
- Change the settings to show Item Status Does Not Contain Read, as in Figure 2.
- Click OK. You should now see Figure 3 below.
- Click Save and give this filter a name. “Unread” might be useful!
- Now when you click on the Quick Find dropdown arrow, you will have your filter available near the bottom of the dialog.